Sunday, January 1, 2012

It's the little things that matter

Happy 2012!  I already wrote about last year, so let's say "out with the old and in with the new." I won't ignore 2011, not at all, but let's get into 2012. I've always said "it's the little things [in life] that matter."  I"m often told I'm childlike because I get so excited over little, simple, basic things. Is this a problem?  I'm blessed by so many things.  I say this often. But what does it mean??? 


BLESS
verb (used with object), blessed or blest, bless·ing.
1.
to consecrate or sanctify by a religious rite; make orpronounce holy.
2.
to request of God the bestowal of divine favor on: Bless thishouse.
3.
to bestow good of any kind upon: a nation blessed withpeace.
4.
to extol as holy; glorify: Bless the name of the Lord.
5.
to protect or guard from evil (usually used interjectionally):Bless you! Bless your innocent little heart!


How are we blessed?  By good health? A [good] job?  Family? Friends?  I think this is a very subjective  questions. What is important to me, may or may not be important to you.  We rank things differently and that is fine.  

I'm sick, but I'm blessed with the health that I do have. I'm blessed to have access to and receive the care that I'm getting. I'm fortunate to have had the insight to write to the Komen and Livestrong foundations about my situation and therefore received generous grants.  I'm unemployed with zero income and that, quite simply, sucks.  But, I'm blessed to be surrounded and supported by wonderful people. I'm blessed to have a bed to sleep in (for now!), food to eat, etc.  When I was employed, I hated that job and it made me very sick. In an odd way, I'm blessed to no longer be there because I'm healthier. (But I need a  job in a major way!)  My family and friends are my rocks.  My blood family may not be large, but it's solid.  I have great parents, a brother, aunts, uncles and cousins.  We may not see each other often, but we love each other. I hope to start seeing them more often.  I have Karen's family which is an added bonus that I'm still learning about.  My friends are my family. I may not have a lot of friends to hang out with (rather a small, core group I will NEVER give up.) But, I have amazing friends online. We've been friends for years. I wish we lived closer and could hang, but I won't be greedy. I often say and truly believe that friends can be better than family because you choose and are chosen by friends.  But, I won't give up my family, either.  

It's the little things that matter.  This is very true.  How do  you appreciate the little things?  I take photos of things that make me happy. I cook.  I love food. I love to make people happy with food. I love to hear a certain song. I love to recall the memory a certain song  brings to me/me to.  I love smells. If you know me, you know I LOVE the smell of cotton/laundry and grass. These simple things make me so happy.  

How do you show your appreciation for others? What do you do?  How do you say "thanks."  How do you reward a good deed? How do you cheer someone up?  Karen and I are 51 and 33 years old respectively and we each have a treat box. Most of the treats come from Dollar Tree or Targets Dollar Spot, but that makes it even better. We have simple things in there to make us smile. It can be candy, a craft supply, a toy, or whatever. We get to pick something out of our treat box when needed. Be it for a bad day, a happy day, a good deed, just because.  We write each other little notes and cards a lot. I give Karen a note in her lunch almost every day. Just to let her know she's loved, thought of and appreciated.  These are the things that are important. It takes me such a short period of time to write these notes for her. They are sincerely from my heart.  

By doing these things, am I too materialistic? I think not.  Yes, I love my gadgets, kitchen tools and such but I'm a pretty basic person.  I like to be surrounded by the people I love with the things we love.  We don't spend a lot of money at all. (We don't have the money to spend!)

Do people take their blessings for granted? We live in a society where complaining and venting is quite common. I do it myself.  But, when is enough enough?  I think venting is fine as long as you balance it with the positive. If all you do is complain, that is not healthy. I do think venting and complaining are two different things.  It's not healthy to keep things to yourself- you have to let them out, I know this.  Believe me, do I know this.  But I know that we can sound very ungrateful when all we do is vent and complain. Balance. It's all about balance as well. We have to look at the big picture and realize and acknowledge that no one or nothing is perfect. Perfection doesn't exist- it' s a figment of our imagination. It is what it is.  No matter how poor we are, we are alive. No matter how hard things are, we are alive. I do not want to be dead...I have never wanted to be dead.  

Count your blessings and be thankful for the small things. You never know when you will lose them. 

I know I was all over the place with this entry, but everything is on my mind, wanting to come out.


No comments:

Post a Comment