Sunday, January 8, 2012

Thanks

I'm not sure how this is going to come out, but here goes. 

I'm big on thanking people and being thanked. I think it's common courtesy to genuinely thank someone when they do something for you or give you something. It's a way to show you are appreciative of their deed. I was raised that it's the right thing to do and you do it out of respect. It's not difficult nor time consuming to write a simple thank you note.  Heck, get a pack from the Dollar Tree and keep them on hand. If that's not your style, send an email or facebook message. Yes, that's better than nothing and it shows you care. I'm being serious.  We send thank you notes a lot. Not for every Christmas present, but we try to do it for some and all of our birthday presents and other occasions.  

As most of you know, my Karen has been sick with a bad case of bronchitis.  I've been her "nurse" taking care of her as best as I can. Giving her medicine, making her comfortable, taking her to the doctor, giving her space, feeding her, etc.  I haven't gone out of my way to do anything.  Anyway, it's what I do. It's what a partner does. It's what a friend does. It's what a person does for another person.  Yes, she has taken the energy and time out to thank me, when she can barely speak.  I thank her for thanking me but tell her there's no reason for her to thank me.  

Didn't I just say that I'm big on thank yous? When do you need to thank someone? Why do we thank someone?

Do we do things for people just to be thanked?  I'd like to hope that isn't the case, but I'm not sure.

Don't get me wrong- I give gifts to people knowing I won't receive a thank you in return. It doesn't always have to be written- a verbal thank you goes a long way in my book.  But when you get nothing, especially when giving a gift, that really irks me.  

I think I have a set of rules for my loved ones (family and friends) and then a set of rules for "the others." Are you like this?  Do you thank people?

No comments:

Post a Comment